“Education In The Vision Of Swami Vivekananda”
The topmost concern of every parent today happens to be their child’s education. All decisions of their lives are practically based on whether it would fetch their child better education, or sustain an existing good system that they attend at present. They sincerely, leave no stone unturned when it is about utilizing their resources, finding more and even more ways to make it comfortable for the child to carry on with their studies. A common thing parents carry in their mind is a sense of void which they felt in their childhood, and thus fiercely dedicate themselves to not let their child face similar situations.
The question however remains unanswered in the mind of every parent, is providing, participating, monitoring enough? Well, it is surely much more than enough when you are concerned about a particular level your child must achieve academically. Sadly, that has no connection with education. Education is not about academic success or brilliance. Nor is it about intelligence and smartness. It is an undefined entity yet, which we all are striving to provide to the child, believing that we know what it is!
Here is an interesting perspective of what education is, and what it is not, in the vision of Swami Vivekananda.
What is Education?
- Education is the manifestation of the perfection already in man.
- The training by which the current and expression of will is brought under control and become fruitful is called education.
- [Education] may be described as a development of faculty, not an accumulation of words, or, as a training of individuals to will rightly and efficiently.
- Real education is that which enables one to stand on his own legs.
- If you have assimilated five ideas and made them your life and character, you have more education than any man who has got by heart a whole library.
- We must have life building, man making, and character making assimilation of ideas.
What Education is not?
- Is it book-learning? No. Is it diverse knowledge? Not even that..
- [Education is] not an accumulation of words….
- [Education is] not the collecting of facts…
- Education is not the amount of information that is put into your brain and runs riot there, undigested all your life.
- If education were identical with information, the libraries would be the greatest sages in the world and encyclopedias would be the Rishis.
- Education is not filling the mind with a lot of facts.
- …is that education as a result of which the will, being continuously choked by force through generations, is now well-nigh killed out; is that education under whose sway even the old ideas, let alone the new ones are disappearing one by one; is that education which is slowly making man a machine?
- The education which does not help the common mass of people to equip themselves for the struggle of life, which does not bring out the strength of character, a spirit of philanthropy, and the courage of a lion — is it worth the name?
- Well, you consider a man as educated if only he can pass some examinations and deliver good lectures…
- The present system of education is all wrong. The mind is crammed with facts before it knows how to think. Control of the mind should be taught first.
- The education that you are receiving now in schools and colleges is only making you a race of dyspeptics. You are working like machines merely, and living a jelly-fish existence.
Think Link expresses deep gratitude to “greenmesg.org.” Below is the link to the original piece which has inspired us:
About The Author
Think Inc. is a leading name in the field of corporate trainings and publication of books on self management, how to keep your family happy, selling & customer service skills.